Have you been investing time in yourself lately? With everything that is happening in the world today, there is one thing that has been affected the most - our lifestyle.
We have all had to adjust to this new normal in different ways, and the fact is that not everyone can naturally adapt to a change of this calibre. Lifestyle changes can be challenging in a sense that it affects us in many ways: mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
For us to get back in shape, we need our mind and body to return to their ideal, balanced state and achieve holistic optimum wellness. Cultivating a positive balance in both mind and body is necessary for your health and wellness.
We hope to help you slowly transform the way you breathe, live and move with these 8 helpful tips:
1. Eat whole, one-ingredient food
Whole, one-ingredient food are generally those that remain close to their state in nature. They do not have added sugars, flavorings, or other manufactured ingredients or also known as the opposite of processed food.
Some wellness benefits of eating whole, one-ingredient food:
- Real food works in harmony with your body to give you just the right amount of calories.
- Nearly all the leading causes of death--heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes--can be dramatically reduced or even prevented with a healthy diet.
- It takes a ton of energy for your body to digest heavily processed food and that is why they make you feel sluggish. Real whole food, however, provides real energy that makes you brighter, fresher, and more energetic.
2. Focus on using your hips
Your hips are the epicentre of your body that connects your upper and lower extremities. Keeping your hips connected and functioning will make your everyday movements more effective and help you maintain good posture.
Focusing on using your hips and maintaining a good posture have both emotional and physical benefits:
- It can help you appear more confident and uplifts your mood
- It increases muscle strength, corrects imbalances, and increases the range of motion.
- It evenly distributes body weight that can help reduce various pains, including headaches, neck pain and muscle aches.
3. Relax before bed to achieve deep sleep
There are endless benefits of destressing and relaxing before going to sleep. Unwinding after a long stressful day ensures a great night’s rest.
From lowering the chance of heart attacks to preventing depression, relaxing before bed has many benefits:
- Keep your feet warm
- Turn off your phone and/or laptops
- Take a warm and soothing bath
- Have a calming drink
- Read a book
4. Stick to warm or room temperature water
Warmer water is thought to have metabolism-boosting and health-promotive benefits such as improving digestion and blood circulation, relieving constipation, and promoting relaxation compared with drinking cold water.
Many people feel benefit from this remedy, especially when they drink warm water first thing in the morning or right before bed.
5. Put your phone on do not disturb
Finding peace is sometimes as simple as getting away from your phone once in a while. Sometimes, giving yourself time to take a break from the news and all what’s going on in social media, is that one thing you need.
You may start with setting aside DND time before bed and when you wake up. The world can wait.
6. Develop the habit of journaling
Journaling can keep your mind and body balanced as it can release stress from your mind, boost your mood and therefore, keep your overall body and wellness healthy.
There is this sense of peace in writing out thoughts--no filter and all feelings out. It can help ease anything on your mind and make sense of your thoughts and emotions and make you more self-aware and mindful of:
- Noticing where your worries come from
- How you are physically affected by your thoughts
- How others affect you and make you feel
- Your intentions for the day
- Being grateful for every growing and glowing moment
7. Make time for meditation
Daily meditation can be extremely beneficial for both your body and mind.
Meditation is more than just emptying your mind of any thoughts. It helps to bring you into the present and be more mindful of your physical body and mental state.
To start, you may make time to sit and meditate for 5 minutes each morning. Noticing any tension in your muscles and relaxing your whole body. Especially in your forehead, neck, and jaw.
Focusing on your breath and getting in touch with your mind and body is key. This helps maintain a healthy mental state and a balance between mind and body.
It is important that you find the right kind of meditation for you which greatly fits your personality, lifestyle, and mood. There are a lot of ways to practice, so talk to friends, do some research, and look up online.
8. Look after your physical health
Your physical health affects your mental health and this is what we know as the mind-body connection. If you want a healthy balance of wellness, you need to look after your body.
Eating healthy, exercising, and rehabilitation are just some things that are beneficial for your physical health.
Looking after your physical health is not just limited to one exercise. Running, yoga, or weight lifting, you can choose what works best for you. In the end, each has their benefits for your mind and body. Including boosting your mood, improving blood flow and maintaining weight.
It may seem more challenging to stay balanced and positive nowadays but working your way through these 8 tips is a good starting point. Remember that no matter how hectic life gets, it is still key to invest time in yourself for your overall mental, physical, and emotional wellbeing.